Saturday, February 5, 2011

Making Up Stats for the Big Fight


So I knew that I wanted to stage a really epic and momentous battle in the Undred-Undred Teef. I So, as I did with the Battle at Footfall, I started sketching out set-pieces. One of the set-pieces I started arranging was a big vehicle battle.

Some time ago, towards the beginning of the campaign, even, the Explorers had discovered a Reaver Titan and believe me, they never let me forget it. And on top of that, one of my players went out and bought a large quantity of epic scale miniatures. Including a titan mini! No, not that Titan mini. No one in my group has that kind of money lying around. In any case, such an opportunity cannot be missed.


Look at the cornucopia of minis Nick bought for the campaign! There are troops on bases, here, mostly. As well as some tanks (grey-colored on the right). The Reaver Titan is prominent, of course.

Here is a close-up of the Titan and some tanks. I painted the Titan.

I went about making up a large scale vehicle battle using the Into the Storm rules. The only problem was that there were only a few stats for vehicles in Into the Storm. I had to make a lot of them up. Luckily, there was still the Dark Heresy apocrypha, which contains stats for vehicles. But those stats were incomplete compared to the Into the Storm write ups.

So, I had to make a number of the vehicles up. Particularly the Reaver Titan, of course.

I thought I would share them here, and perhaps save some fellow GM the trouble of having to do it. No doubt people will see something wrong in these. No problem at all. It may at least give others a starting point.

As I were, I only needed to make up three stats for the good-guy team. The Leman Russ, the Reaver Titan, and some rules for their mysterious Scylla flyer. The team bought Calixis-pattern Fury Interceptors and the Into the Storm book already had rules for those.

Rogue Trader Vehicles

Leman Russ Tank



Type: Ground Vehicle Tactical Speed: 10m

Cruising Speed: 50 kph Manuoeverability: -5

Structural Integrity: 35 Size: Enormous (+20 to hit -20 to conceal)

Armour: Front 40, Side 30, Rear 20 Special:

Crew: Driver, Gunner, Crew Chief

Weapons:

Position: Gunner

Twin-Linked Autocannon x1 (Front); Range: 300 m, Heavy, RoF: S/4/10; Damage: 4d10+5, Pen 4; Clip: 40, Reload: 2 Full; Special: Twin-Linked (+20 to hit)

Turrent-Mounted Lascannon x1 (Front, Sides, Back); Range: 300 m, Heavy; RoF: S/-/-; Damage: 5d10+10, Pen 10; Clip: 10; Reload: 2 Full; Special: Twin-Linked (+20 to hit, Fires 2 shots)

Reaver Titan


Type: Walker Tactical Speed: 5 m

Cruising Speed: 45 kph / 1 AU Manuoeverability: -20

Structural Integrity: 65 Size: Massive (+30 to hit -30 to conceal)

Armour: Front 40, Side 45, Rear 40 Void Shields: 40%

Crew: 1 Drivers, 1 Tech Priest, 2 Servitors

Weapons:

Position: Tech-Priest

Carapace Mounted Rocket Launcher (Front/Left/Right); Range: 75km (750 AUs), Heavy; RoF: S/4/8, Damage: 3d10+20 X, Pen 15; Clip: 24; Reload -; Special: Burst and Auto Fire

Position: Pilot

Arm Mounted Turbo Laser Battery x2 (Front); Range: 700 m (7 AUs), Heavy, RoF: S/-/-; Damage: 8d10 E, Pen 10; Clip: 1, Reload 2 Full; Special: Blast (10)

I'll put the ork vehicles I made up in the next post.

8 comments:

  1. I see a Land Raider in the pic, got any stats for that? A Land Speeder while you're at it perhaps?

    Hey, speaking of Nick, he won a contest at Mik's Minis and I included some old GW ships for you in the package.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Land speeder stats were already in Into the Storm, so I didn't see a need to create those.

    Nick told me that he won one of your contests. I thought it was pretty cool, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to pick up that book. How about the Land Raider, it'd be nice to have one of those statted out for Deathwatch (which is also why I was asking on the speeder...)

    Rock on.

    Wait a second, you didn't see the contest? Dude.

    http://miksminis.blogspot.com/2011/01/hordes-giveaway-winners.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great cap to finish the storyline! And suitably epic, no pun intended. I hope you don't mind, but some echoes of what's happening in your universe are probably going to bleed through into my version of the Koronus Expanse. The deeds of the Holocene Dynasty travel far...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're enjoying it, Jon. Out of curiosity, which elements are you thinking about using? Just wondering what resonates with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I probably should have asked permission first! Actually, I like the idea that this is a "shared universe" that all of our games are inhabiting, and at first I was thinking that my group would overhear of some of H. (Hieronymous?) Tiberius Holocene's deeds in the Expanse, his struggles against rival rogue trader and pirate factions, etc. That's just off the top of my head-- I like the idea of the Scylla and the encounter with the piece of the demonhost Melciah, though, too and was hoping to incorporate some similar elements (a different piece of the demon, perhaps?). I hope that's all okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I forgot to say, that all the stats and house rules you've come up with seem quite useful as well-- although I'm not sure I'm prepared to run quite an epic battle (with titans and whatnot) as your group has run through, but given the setting, it's definitely something to aspire to. Actually, I'm kind of curious to see what the mustering and fielding of armies rules in Battlefleet Koronus are like. My group tends to rely on underlings a bit too often for my tastes, but it would be nice to have some concrete mechanics to help with that side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nah, don't worry about permission. As far as I'm concerned, this is a game that involves someone else's intellectual property. So everything I'm posting here is up for grabs. If I didn't think it was, I wouldn't post it. :)

    As far as the epic battles, they haven't been as successful as I would have liked, actually, but I'll get into that in my next post.

    ReplyDelete